Sun, 20 July 2008
Secrets to Assuming the Close
You know I talk a lot about the techniques that separate the Top 20% of the money earners from the other 80%. As you know, this Podcast is dedicated to providing you with the tools, tips and strategies that you, too, can use to become a Top 20% producer.
Here's what 80% of the inside sales reps currently say:
“Oh hi, this is _______ with the XYZ Company. I'm calling to follow up on the (proposal, information, etc.). Did you have a chance to review that?"
Or, another equally weak opening most sales reps use is:
“Hi, this is ________ with the XYZ Company, how are you? Good, I was just calling to see what you thought of the (proposal, information, etc.)?"
Wrong, wrong, wrong! I cringe when I hear sales reps open the close this way! First, you're giving all control over to your prospect -- why would you want to do that?
Second, you're just opening yourself up for a stall or put off – “No, I haven't had time yet, why don’t you call me back next week?"
Here is how the Top 20% start their closing callbacks, and how you can double your sales starting with your very next call:
“Hi _______ this is ______ ______ with the ABC Company. You know, I've been looking forward to getting back with you and getting you started with our (award-winning newsletter, number one industry ranked product, world-class service -- fill in your product/service/investment here). I know you'll be as happy and satisfied as my other clients are.
Now shut up and listen. Earth shattering to you? Perhaps it is. But so will be your results. This works on so many levels:
1) You're asking for the deal right away (and you’ll be surprised because some will buy on the spot!)
2) It immediately starts the close on an assumptive and positive note.
3) You eliminate any put-offs and stalls.
4) You immediately get the prospect to tell you where they stand and what they're thinking (and what you'll need to do to close the sale).
This is a powerful technique. I guarantee that if you begin using this approach on every sales call, you will be well on your way to doubling your closing percentage and income.